Friday, October 21, 2011

Week 5

"The Science of Hit Songs" by Bjorn Carey

This article was about an experiment done which showed that when teenagers are faced with a lot of choices they will choose things based on popularity. It suggests that people choose what music they like based on what their friends like and what is popular. I disagree with this article.

I do think that friends' suggestions and the popularity of music contribute to how you come against songs but I do not think that is the main factor. Freinds suggest music to me all the time. It is how I am introduced to music but it is completely up to me and my personality to decide if I like the music. Just because your friends suggest a song to you does not mean that you magically will like the song. It has to appeal to your individual taste and what you think is good music.

Musical taste is completely individual and even though you may be directed to new music, it is ultimately up to your personal taste to decide if you actually like the song. Itunes does suggest good music but I do not believe at all that you pick music based off of popularity. I usally hate all the popular songs because they are overplayed. But you can be pushed towards music that is simillar to your taste and chances are, you might like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment